Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The evacuation

                                               Arthur’s diary                       
3rd September 1939
I was upstairs changing into my best clothes because it was my birthday it was going to be a happy celebration. I was told that my friends were coming but they never did, all because of that blasted women in the British army uniform (it was not usual for someone in the army to go around knocking on people’s doors). She looked like she could beat up ten wrestlers in one punch. The lady knocked on the door it was not that much of a knock it was more like an elephant trumpet. “May I come in!” she shrieked. My mother scurried down the hallway and opened the door for the lady.
She acknowledged that the war will start and that I must evacuate next week exactly 10’o clock or I will miss the train and face the tragic events in the next few years. My mother was holding herself from crying. As soon as the lady left my mum started crying so hard.
I’m so sorry we have no choice we have to send you it will be too dangerous besides that we might see each other again
  My heart was blinded by despair; I had a strange feeling that I would never see my mother, my little brother Thomas and above all my father. I felt worried that I might not fit in with my new family would they be nice to people joining in their family? Would they treat me like dust and treat their own as if it were their own like their own sole.  I’ll see soon….
I starting packing up the bag. I took some clothes a gas mask and some food and water for the long journey.
It was 10’o clock, I was at the train station mother was kissing me good-bye I was really unhappy being parted from my mother and even my brother if you are reading this you would feel relieved that you were not me or  you would really be excited it was almost like an adventure. It took three whole hours to get there when I got off the train my legs were aching. Afterwards a woman in a black skirt came running to me and a bunch of other kids. I was the last one left one left. That took long enough. We skidded down the alley. We made it to a colossal mansion at the corner of the village. She knocked on the door, she looked like she was in a big hurry. A man with a beard and a moustache that covered his whole face opened the door. Boy he was very merry, very merry indeed. He had such a merry family all taking small peaks to check who the stranger was.  I have to say I was astonished, I was amazed I was shocked there were so many ways to describe the place. He took me into the mansion and then he...  

No comments:

Post a Comment